FAYETTEVILLE — A 20-second mention on ABC’s “Good Morning America” broadcast that featured the local recovery from Hurricane Matthew has turned to gold for a Fayetteville-based food bank, gold the nonprofit can use to help feed as many as 40,000 people.
Second Harvest was never mentioned by name on the broadcast on Feb. 16, which highlighted the impact Hurricane Matthew had on Lumberton and Robeson County, but viewers were encouraged to donate to help the nonprofit, and so far that has resulted in more than $8,000 in donations.
“We are very grateful, it has helped a good bit,” said Ron Pringle, executive director of Second Harvest Food Bank of Southeastern North Carolina.
Second Harvest is an arm of Action Pathways, a nonprofit human services agency based out of Fayetteville, which tackles hunger in a seven-county area that includes Robeson. Each dollar donated can be leveraged into five meals, according to Pringle.
During the show, host Robin Roberts said: “You want to know how to help? It’s called Dare to Donate a Dollar to lend support our friends in Lumberton. Go to our website and we will show you how to help. One dollar.”
Pringle said that a landing page and a Paypal account were set up in coordination with “Good Morning America.” It can be found at http://gma.actionpathways.ngo/
That page had an influx of donations that started flowing in the hours after the show. Pringle said on Thursday that the most recent donation had been for a single dollar.
“Every dollar is going to help,” Pringle said.
The organization is providing food for hundreds of families still stranded in motels along Interstate 95. Its mobile food pantries are also serving more isolated areas affected by the storm, including Maxton and Fairmont.
“These funds will help us absorb the cost of this work and allow us to continue to serve the displaced families,” Pringle said.
Donations to Second Harvest can also be made directly at its home page on the internet.
Reach Mike Gellatly at 910-816-1989 or via Twitter @MikeGellatly